North Toronto Collegiate

North Toronto Collegiate

Thursday, July 19, 2018

SEVENTH (AND DEFINITELY LAST PRE REUNION) NEWSLETTER FOR NTCI CLASS OF 1968 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION FRIDAY MAY 4TH AND SATURDAY MAY 5TH
April 30, 2018
Judging from a few e mails I have received lately it was suggested I do one last e mail to ensure that the times and places of the events are clear since there have been changes and incomplete information in some of the communications.  I also wanted to reprint some important information I had in the newsletter just before the 2014 reunion as I am sure most people have forgotten what I wrote back then and some of you have not kept all my newsletter from the first reunion.   I also want to put in Arnie Isaac’s Bio.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS  FOR THE REUNION 


Memory Mingle – Friday May 4th from 5:00 to 7:00  Room 215 at the school.
$15 ( exact change if possible please) payable at the door though you can pay a little more for extra expenses with leftover money going to the school. 

Bill and Cathie Humber House Party - Friday May 4th from 7:00 onward at 30 Maxwell Avenue (four blocks from the school). No cost but like high school (University) B.Y.O.B. 

Saturday morning walk - Saturday May 5th from 10:00 (meet at south-west corner of Eglinton Park)
Doug Campbell, who does this for Heritage Toronto, has volunteered to lead a walk starting at 10:00 am Saturday morning. No cost.

PLEASE NOTE NEW START TIME  FOR THE WALK 

Saturday afternoon house party at Mardi and Haim Hershberg's 1:30 to 4:30
Drop into Mardi and Haim's home Saturday afternoon to keep the conversations going anytime between 1:30 and 4:30. There is no cost and light refreshments will be served. Their home is located at 12 Alexandra Wood.

For those who still want to keep talking you can continue to local restaurants for dinner.

WARNING FOR THOSE ATTENDING THE CLASS REUNION

There is the remote possibility that you presently do not resemble what you looked like in 1968. Therefore some of your fellow classmates may not recognize you.  Your name tag that you will be given when you check in, should therefore be worn at all times to avoid possible embarrassment that your best high school friend does not greet you with open arms.  
Also keep in mind that at our age our minds and memories are not what they once were, and we have not been in contact with classmates for 50 years.  Therefore even with your name tag your best friend, lab partner, team mate, first date or even first love may not have a clue who you are even after you describe in detail what you did on that first date. If that happens to you, please wait at least 30 seconds to let that forgetful person either recall who you are, pretend they know who you are, or give up trying to remember who you are.  In the latter two cases please do not get upset. Take a deep breath and say to yourself “ gee, I guess they did not age as well as I did “.  Please no dramatic scenes or meltdowns.  
If you are in doubt whether your appearance has changed since 1968 I suggest you take your grad picture, put it up to your face and look into a mirror in a way you can see your face and the picture in the mirror. Then be honest about whether someone would say these are one and same person.

PARKING 
Looking at Google Maps there seems to be a city parking lot just east of the school on Roehampton but please check out parking for yourself.

LOCATION OF MEMORY MINGLE ROOM 
Memory Mingle will be held in room 215.  The school is in a square shape, so basically get yourself onto the second floor and find room 215 ( it's on the east side of the school ).  

BIO ‘s 
ARNIE ISAACS
I want to begin by thanking Laurie for tracking me down.  I did not know I was so difficult to find.
When I opened his letter, it brought back the warmest memories of my youth.  We were part of a group of friends who attended both Allenby Public School and North Toronto Collegiate together.  I have barely seen anyone from my past since high school.
I attended the University of Toronto and after graduation I started my first business.
I chose a career in the fashion industry.  I had a very successful import business in Canada.  After a few years, I joined a company in Montreal and I brought our clothing down to New York.
Through both hard work and luck, we were an instant success.  My greatest achievement was having my own window on 34th Street in Macy’s one winter.  I cannot tell you how many times my beautiful wife Debbie and I went to look at it.
We sold the company, but after so many years of working for myself, I could not take directions from anyone.   So the pattern continued and I started a new clothing import company.  This gave my wife and I the opportunity to travel all over the world.  We met so many people and developed some wonderful relationships that we will always cherish and maintain.  We had a factory opened in our honor in India.  We had an apartment in Hong Kong and got to do so many things that never would have been possible.  
Eventually, we closed the company in New York.  We had an office in San Clemente, a small surf town in Southern California.  Debbie, who is from Iowa, always wanted to live by the ocean.  So, we moved to San Clemente, ran the business for a few years from there and finally closed it.
After a couple of years of retirement, I started a new business and find myself happier than ever.  I never thought I could reinvent myself at sixty eight years of age.  Fortunately, I have enjoyed good health.
We have a wonderful son, Wesley, who is a partner in a law firm in Toronto. A fantastic daughter-in-law, Gretchen, who is a CEO of a nonprofit also in Toronto.  We have two of the most beautiful grandsons, Jon and Ben.
Unfortunately, I didn’t hear about the reunion until last week and I will not be able to attend.
We are coming to Toronto for a week in June.  If any of my old friends would like to renew contact I can be reached at  arnieisaacs1000@gmail.com.


Laurie 
-       Looking forward to seeing  you in a few days

No comments:

Post a Comment